Hi, I'm Lutz Schmitt
I'm a graduated Designer and professional dilettante. I work self-employed. I can fill in roles as Strategy Consultant, Experience Designer, and Information Architect - all of this in leading positions, too. I also offer coaching, workshops and talks on various topics from systemic design, to creating empathy, to design for privacy.
With close to twenty years of experience and working four years as a UX team lead in my last job, I know how to create longterm value for my clients and help with change.
Designing is a way of thinking and not a craftmanship. Nonetheless, during the years I got involved into the crafts of Interaction Design, Game Design, Cooking, Information Architecture, Industrial Design, Graphic Design, Typography, Finance Management, Art Direction, Event Direction, User Research and some more. Some I mastered, at some I stayed a humble apprentice. Some jobs paid my rent, some earned me experience.
2017 till now: Self-employed Designer & Consultant
2014 - 2017: Head of Consulting Unit Interaction, nexum AG
2008 - 2014: (Senior) Consultant UX, nexum AG
2000 - 2008: Self-Employed Designer
1999 - 2000: Trainee Web Design, 01 Digitales Design GmbH
Public Speaking & Teaching
I'm a regular speaker at industry and community events on various topics. The list of events include:
- UX Day Mannheim 2017 - Talk on "Privacy by Default"
- IA Summit Vancouver 2017 - Talk on "Privacy by Default"
- Euro IA Summit
- Stockholm 2017: Workshop "Feelings not Facts"
- Amsterdam 2016: Talk on "Privacy by Default"
- Madrid 2015: Co-Chair of the Summit
- Brussels 2014: Talk on "Design is Invisible"
- Edinburgh 2013: Talk on "Being an Evil Mastermind"
- German IA Summit Berlin
- 2016: Case Study on Coop Strategic Relaunch
- 2017: Talk on Privacy by Default
- UX Sofia 2015 - Workshop "Pragmatic UX" & Talk "Design is invisible"
- WebExpo Prague 2012 - Talk "Critical Interface Design"
- UXcamp West Düsseldorf 2016 - Closing Keynote
While it is a shitload of work, organising events to create spaces of learning, inspiration and sharing, is very rewarding.
The last time I got rewarded this way, was for being Co-Chair of the EuroIA Summit 2015 in Madrid together with Stuart Curran and Peter Bogaards.
Before I was chair and director for the Cologne editions of the Design for Conferences in Cologne and were part of the New York City-crew. Sadly, the conference series is disbanded.
- Design for Experience Cologne 2013
- Design for Conversion New York City 2012
- Design for Conversion Cologne 2011
- Design for Conversion Cologne 2010