Hi, I'm Lutz Schmitt
I'm a graduated Designer and professional dilettante. I work self-employed. I can fill in roles as Team Lead, Strategy Consultant, Experience Designer and Information Architect. I might join for a project or as interim placement.
You can also book me for coachings, workshops and talks on various topics from Systemic design, Emotional design, Privacy Design to Internet of Things – and quite some more. I'm also a hilarious comedian, if you trust some people who joined my gigs on "Being an Evil Mastermind".
With roundabout twenty years of experience in and with digital media and working four years as a UX team lead, I know how to create value for users and business and how to get things done in time and budget.
Designing is a way of thinking and not a craftmanship. Nonetheless, during the years I got involved into the crafts of Interaction Design, Game Design, Cooking, Information Architecture, Industrial Design, Graphic Design, Typography, Finance Management, Art Direction, Event Direction, User Research and some more. Some I mastered, at some I stayed a humble apprentice. Some jobs paid my rent, some earned me experience.
2017 till now: Self-employed Designer & Consultant
2014 - 2017: Head of Consulting Unit Interaction, nexum AG
2008 - 2014: (Senior) Consultant UX, nexum AG
2000 - 2008: Self-Employed Designer
1999 - 2000: Trainee Web Design, 01 Digitales Design GmbH
Public Speaking & Teaching
I'm a regular speaker at industry and community events on various topics for many years. Most of my talks and workshops are available in German and English.
- ProfsoUX 2019 St. Petersburg: Talk on "Design is Invisible" & workshop "UX Survival"
Previous talks and lectures
- UX Day Mannheim 2017 - Talk on "Privacy by Default"
- IA Summit Vancouver 2017 - Talk on "Privacy by Default"
- Euro IA Summit
- Dublin 2018: Being an Evil Mastermind - Part 2
- Stockholm 2017: Workshop "Feelings not Facts - Creating Empathy with Role Playing"
- Amsterdam 2016: Talk on "Privacy by Default"
- Madrid 2015: Co-Chair of the Summit
- Brussels 2014: Talk on "Design is Invisible"
- Edinburgh 2013: Talk on "Being an Evil Mastermind"
- German IA Summit Berlin
- 2016: Case Study on Coop Strategic Relaunch
- 2017: Talk on Privacy by Default
- UX Sofia 2015 - Workshop "Pragmatic UX" & Talk "Design is invisible"
- WebExpo Prague 2012 - Talk "Critical Interface Design"
- UXcamp West Düsseldorf 2016 - Closing Keynote
For a while I directed and produced the Cologne edition of the Design for Conferences:
- 7th Design for Experience - Cologne 2013
- 6th Design for Conversion - New York City 2012 (staff member)
- 4th Design for Conversion - Cologne 2011
- 3rd Design for Conversion - Cologne 2010