Hi, I'm Lutz Schmitt
I'm a graduated Designer and a professional Dilettante. Currently I'm working at nexum AG as Head of Consulting Unit Interaction. In my day job a I lead a team of Information Architects and UX Consultants and we help our clients to succeed in their digital endeavours.
Beside that I'm writing and talking about various design topics. You can find a lot of it here.
Designing is a way of thinking and not a craftmanship. Nonetheless, during the years I got involved into the crafts of Interaction Design, Game Design, Cooking, Information Architecture, Industrial Design, Graphic Design, Typography, Finance Management (by times a true design job), Art Direction, Event Organisator, User Research and some more. Some I mastered, at some I stayed a humble apprentice. Some jobs paid my rent, some earned me experience.
Public Speaking & Teaching
I'm a regular speaker at industry and community events on various topics. The list of events include:
- UX Day Mannheim 2017 - Talk on "Privacy by Default"
- IA Summit Vancouver 2017 - Talk on "Privacy by Default"
- Euro IA Summit
- Stockholm 2017: Workshop "Feelings not Facts"
- Amsterdam 2016: Talk on "Privacy by Default"
- Madrid 2015: Co-Chair of the Summit
- Brussels 2014: Talk on "Design is Invisible"
- Edinburgh 2013: Talk on "Being an Evil Mastermind"
- German IA Summit Berlin
- 2016: Case Study on Coop Strategic Relaunch
- 2017: Talk on Privacy by Default
- UX Sofia 2015 - Workshop "Pragmatic UX" & Talk "Design is invisible"
- WebExpo Prague 2012 - Talk "Critical Interface Design"
- UXcamp West Düsseldorf 2016 - Closing Keynote
While it is a shitload of work, organising events to create spaces of learning, inspiration and sharing, is very rewarding.
The last time I got rewarded this way, was for being Co-Chair of the EuroIA Summit 2015 in Madrid together with Stuart Curran and Peter Bogaards.
Before I was chair and director for the Cologne editions of the Design for Conferences in Cologne and were part of the New York City-crew. Sadly, the conference series is disbanded.
- Design for Experience Cologne 2013
- Design for Conversion New York City 2012
- Design for Conversion Cologne 2011
- Design for Conversion Cologne 2010